Department of Medical History and Ethics is a unit of the Institute of Public Health at the Medical Faculty of Vilnius University. The Department was established in 2002. Since its establishment the Department has been chaired by Prof. Dr. Eugenijus Gefenas.
The main mission of the department is to introduce medical humanities into the curriculum of future health care professionals.
This mission is being fulfilled by the following activities:
- Preparation of medical history and bioethics training aids and educational syllabi
- Initiating and organizing research in the field of bioethics and history of medicine
- International collaboration
- Promoting bioethics and the history of medicine in Lithuania
The Department also hosts Museum of the History of Medicine.
The Department takes an active part in international collaboration. One example of such a collaboration is the Regional Bioethics Information Centre supported by UNESCO. It was established at the premises of the Department in 2004.
- On the 7th-8th of December dr. Aistis Žalnora attended the international scientific conference “The (para)medical discourse – genres, functions, transformations” in Wroclaw, Poland and presented the paper ,,Kursy ratownictwa sanitarnego w Wilnie w okresie międzywojennym”.
- On the 1st of Deccember doc. dr. Vitalija Miežutavičiūtė and dr. Aistis Žalnora attended the scientific-practical conference “Health and Coherence for Everybody”.
- On the 1st of December dr. Asta Čekanauskaitė, dr. Margarita Poškutė, Vilma Lukaševičienė and Natalija Fiodorova attended the international scientific conference “Diplomats for Life: The 2nd Baltic Sea Symposium on Simulation and Virtual Reality for Education in Health Care and Patient Safety” in Lithuanian University of Health Sciences.
- On the 16th-17th of October the international scientific conference “Shaping Ethics in Academia and Society: Practices in the Baltic Sea Region” took place in Mykolas Romeris university (Vilnius). Natalija Fiodorova, prof. dr. Eugenijus Gefenas, dr. Asta Čekanauskaitė, Jūratė Lekstutienė, Vilma Lukaševičienė presented the paper “Interaction between research ethics and research integrity: overview and analysis of situation in Lithuania and Finland”. Click here for conference programme and the abstract of the paper.
- On the 6th of October prof. Eugenijus Gefenas ir Natalija Fiodorova attended the workshop “Ethics of Obesity Prevention: Spotlight on Central and Eastern Europe” in Tubingen (Germany) and presented the paper “Lithuanian perspective on ethical challenges of obesity prevention”. Programme can be found here.
- On the 21st – 22nd of September Dr. Aistis Žalnora attended the International Scientific Conference of “Cleanliness and dirtiness. Hygiene between the great wars (1918 – 1939)” in Bydgoszcz (Poland) and presented a paper “Nutrition Hygiene in Vilnius in years of 1922-1939″. Download program here
- On the 14th of September Natalija Fiodorova attended the scientific-practical conference “Donation of Organs: Duty or Gift?” in Lithuanian University of Health Sciences.
- On the 22nd – 26th of May The Department of Medical History and Ethics together with Clarkson University organised Study Visit of the alumnus of the Advanced Certificate Program: Research Ethics in Central and Eastern Europe in Vilnius. Download program here