Centre for Health Ethics, Law and History is a unit of the Institute of Public Health at the Medical Faculty of Vilnius University. The Centre was established in 2002. Since its establishment the Centre has been chaired by Prof. Dr. Eugenijus Gefenas.
The main mission of the Centre is to introduce medical humanities into the curriculum of future health care professionals.
This mission is being fulfilled by the following activities:
- Preparation of medical history and bioethics training aids and educational syllabi
- Initiating and organizing research in the field of bioethics and history of medicine
- International collaboration
- Promoting bioethics and the history of medicine in Lithuania
The Centre takes an active part in international collaboration. One example of such a collaboration is the Regional Bioethics Information Centre supported by UNESCO. It was established at the premises of the Department in 2004.
- On the 28th of April Dr. Margarita Poškutė attended a scientific-practical conference “Aspects of professional ethics in laboratory medicine” and presented the paper “Introduction to Bioethics“.
- On the 25th-26th of March Dr. Aistė Bartkienė, Dr. Daiva Milinkevičiūtė, Monika Ramonaitė and Dr. Aistis Žalnora presented papers at Lithuanian history of science and philosophy of science conference ,,Scientia et Historia 2021“. Download programme here.
- On the 11th of March – the 13th Of May Prof. Eugenijus Gefenas participated in the working group for development of World Health Organization of tool for benchmarking of research ethics oversight.
- On the 20th and 22nd of January Prof. Eugenijus Gefenas, Vygintas Aliukonis, Dr. Aistė Bartkienė and Dr. Margarita Poškutė participated in „INTEGRITY: empowering students through evidence-based, scaffolded learning of Responsible Conduct in Research (RCR)” annual meeting (online).