Centre for Health Ethics, Law and History is a unit of the Institute of Public Health at the Medical Faculty of Vilnius University. The Centre was established in 2002. Since its establishment the Centre has been chaired by Prof. Dr. Eugenijus Gefenas.
The main mission of the Centre is to introduce medical humanities into the curriculum of future health care professionals.
This mission is being fulfilled by the following activities:
- Preparation of medical history and bioethics training aids and educational syllabi
- Initiating and organizing research in the field of bioethics and history of medicine
- International collaboration
- Promoting bioethics and the history of medicine in Lithuania
The Centre also hosts Museum of the History of Medicine.
The Centre takes an active part in international collaboration. One example of such a collaboration is the Regional Bioethics Information Centre supported by UNESCO. It was established at the premises of the Department in 2004.
- On the 7th-10th of August Prof. Eugenijus Gefenas attended 33rd Europen Conference on Philosophy of Medicine and Health Care Philosophy and Eethics at the Edge of Medicine in Oslo (Norway) and presented the paper „DTC Genetic Testing vs Incidental Findings: Pros and Cons“. Programme can be found here.
- On the 11the-12th of June dr. Aistė Bartkienė attended Annual Workshop of Nordic-Baltic Network of Philosophy of Medicine Issues in Bioethics and Philosophy of Medicine in Tartu (Estonia) and presented the paper „Bioethics in medical education: searching for the best model“. Click here for a programme.
- On the 6th-12th of May dr. Aistis Žalnora under Erasmus+ staff mobility for teaching programme visited University of Rijeka (Croatia) and gave a lecture on early and interwar medicine in Lithuania.
- On the 2nd of April Prof. Eugenijus Gefenas participated in the discussion „Science-in-Society Salon“ in European Parliament. The discussion explored the possible impact onsociety of genome editing in agriculture. Programme can be found here.
- On the 28th–29th of March dr. Aistė Bartkienė, dr. Margarita Poškutė and dr. Aistis Žalnora presented papers at Lithuanian history of science and philosophy of science conference ,,Scientia et Historia – 2019“. Download programme here.