Department of Medical History and Ethics is a unit of the Institute of Public Health at the Medical Faculty of Vilnius University. The Department was established in 2002. Since its establishment the Department has been chaired by Prof. Dr. Eugenijus Gefenas.
The main mission of the department is to introduce medical humanities into the curriculum of future health care professionals.
This mission is being fulfilled by the following activities:
- Preparation of medical history and bioethics training aids and educational syllabi
- Initiating and organizing research in the field of bioethics and history of medicine
- International collaboration
- Promoting bioethics and the history of medicine in Lithuania
The Department also hosts Museum of the History of Medicine.
The Department takes an active part in international collaboration. One example of such a collaboration is the Regional Bioethics Information Centre supported by UNESCO. It was established at the premises of the Department in 2004.
- On the 16th-17th of October the international scientific conference “Shaping Ethics in Academia and Society: Practices in the Baltic Sea Region” took place in Mykolas Romeris university (Vilnius). Natalija Fiodorova, prof. dr. Eugenijus Gefenas, dr. Asta Čekanauskaitė, Jūratė Lekstutienė, Vilma Lukaševičienė presented the paper “Interaction between research ethics and research integrity: overview and analysis of situation in Lithuania and Finland”. Click here for conference programme and the abstract of the paper.
- On the 21st – 22nd of September Dr. Aistis Žalnora attended the International Scientific Conference of “Cleanliness and dirtiness. Hygiene between the great wars (1918 – 1939)” in Bydgoszcz (Poland) and presented a paper “Nutrition Hygiene in Vilnius in years of 1922-1939″. Download program here
- On the 22nd – 26th of May The Department of Medical History and Ethics together with Clarkson University organised Study Visit of the alumnus of the Advanced Certificate Program: Research Ethics in Central and Eastern Europe in Vilnius. Download program here
- On the 28th of April – the 1st of June dr. Aistis Žalnora under Erasmus Mundus Medea staff mobility for teaching gave lecture series on history of medicine in Yerevan Mkhitar Heratsi State Medical University (Armenia).