Department of Medical History and Ethics is a unit of the Institute of Public Health at the Medical Faculty of Vilnius University. The Department was established in 2002. Since its establishment the Department has been chaired by Prof. Dr. Eugenijus Gefenas.
The main mission of the department is to introduce medical humanities into the curriculum of future health care professionals.
This mission is being fulfilled by the following activities:
- Preparation of medical history and bioethics training aids and educational syllabi
- Initiating and organizing research in the field of bioethics and history of medicine
- International collaboration
- Promoting bioethics and the history of medicine in Lithuania
The Department also hosts Museum of the History of Medicine.
The Department takes an active part in international collaboration. One example of such a collaboration is the Regional Bioethics Information Centre supported by UNESCO. It was established at the premises of the Department in 2004.
- On the 6th of June dr. Aistis Žalnora participated at the international scientific conference ,,Evolutionary Medicine: Health and Diseases in Changing Environment” ir skaitė pranešimą ,,Evolutionary Thoughts in Jędrzej Śniedecki’s work O fizycznem wychowaniu dzieci (On the Physical Education of Children).Click here for a programme.
- On the 5th – 6th of April dr. Aistis Žalnora presented the paper “Kulturowe, społeczne i medyczne dyskursy (nad)użycia alkoholu” at the international scientific conference “Medyczne i kulturowe aspekty nadużycia alkoholu na przestrzeni dziejów” in Bydgoszcz (Poland).
- On the 30th – 31th of March dr. Margarita Poškutė and dr. Aistis Žalnora attended the conference for Lithuanian history of science and philosophy of science „SCIENTIA ET HISTORIA – 2018“ and presented papers. Download programme here.
- On the 7th-8th of December dr. Aistis Žalnora attended the international scientific conference “The (para)medical discourse – genres, functions, transformations” in Wroclaw, Poland and presented the paper ,,Kursy ratownictwa sanitarnego w Wilnie w okresie międzywojennym”.
- On the 1st of Deccember doc. dr. Vitalija Miežutavičiūtė and dr. Aistis Žalnora attended the scientific-practical conference “Health and Coherence for Everybody”.
- On the 1st of December dr. Asta Čekanauskaitė, dr. Margarita Poškutė, Vilma Lukaševičienė and Natalija Fiodorova attended the international scientific conference “Diplomats for Life: The 2nd Baltic Sea Symposium on Simulation and Virtual Reality for Education in Health Care and Patient Safety” in Lithuanian University of Health Sciences.